basic fdisk question...

MKlinke mklinke at axsi.com
Sun May 23 23:59:35 UTC 2004

On Sunday 23 May 2004 17:55, bruce wrote:
> ok.. a basic question that i can't find the right answer for...
>
> how can i find out what my hard drive on my system is called...???
>
> is fdisk the right function to use.. what would the attributes
> be...???
>
> thanks
>
> bruce
> bedouglas at earthlink.net

Not sure exactly which information you're after but try:

fdisk -l

and/or

cat /etc/fstab

for each drive listed you can issue (for example for /dev/hda):

hdparm -I /dev/hda

for a detailed list of drive attributes. And you can also poke around
in your /proc filesystem. For example, for an ide drive installed as
/dev/hda:

cat /proc/ide/hda/model
cat /proc/ide/hda/settings

etc....