network time settings - was Re: Decrypt Passwords

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Wed May 26 12:06:09 UTC 2004

From: "Gary Stainburn" <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk>
> On Tuesday 25 May 2004 5:20 pm, Jake Johnson wrote:
> > That is funny.  Try using rdate to set the date using a time server.
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been trying to look at something like this (amongst the gazillion
other
> jobs) and I'd like people's opinions.
>
> I've looked at NTP and rdate and was wondering
>
> a) which people thought was best (NTP's supposed to be more accurate I
> believe),

I can't prove it, but I seem to recall that ntp is supposed to be what we
use in the future.

> b) if anyone knows of good public servers that I can use as a root, and

A quick google search turned up:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html

> c) if using NTP how to I use it. (using rdate I would probably just put
'rdate
> -s <server>' as a cron job)

If you're using RHL9, get to the gnome gui and right-click on the date/time
on the lower-right panel.  Then click on Adjust Date & Time.  You'll see a
section where you can enable Network Time Protocol and specify the time
server that you wish to use.  IIRC, this uses the /etc/init.d/ntpd script to
process.

> I've already got my M$ boxes syncing to one of my Samba boxes using the
'net
> time', but I want to make sure that box's dates set right first.
>
> I also want to set up so my other unixen sync to this box too.

The ntpd script, AFAIK, only synchs this box to another boxes time.  I can't
remember what the package is that lets you set this box up as a time server
for other boxes...

Ben