network time settings - was Re: Decrypt Passwords

Hamilton, Andrew Andrew.Hamilton at afccc.af.mil
Wed May 26 12:57:29 UTC 2004

Normally, you would need to modify your ntp.conf file to point to the right
server or to make it a server or a peer(which is both a client and a
server).  I think by default it uses the machines undisciplined local clock
which is really a last resort.  I generally put a few(maybe 3 or 4) servers
in my ntp.conf and then let ntp figure out which one to use.  It typically
will pick the one with the best response time.  ntpd can be both a client
and a server and do both at the same time.  It can also broadcast and
multicast for those machines on the same subnet, which is cool because you
get less traffic.  Once you put a few servers in there then restart you can
do "/usr/sbin/ntpq -p" and get which one it prefers.

Drew