How I can send a Packet to every Body on Internet

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Mon Nov 1 18:20:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 07:37:00AM -0600, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> > Ah, Ed, you obviously didn't try hard enough!  What if a massive asteroid
> > was heading towards earth, and we needed to let all of the Internet
> > junkies know that they only had an hour to live?
>
> And what language would you send your e-mail in?  :-)

Ah, see, that's the beauty of my plan!  By adding ICMP packet types for
each of my above scenarios, it would be up to the individual TCP/IP stack
implementors to use the appropriate language.

So, henceforth, ICMP Packet type 99 will be for emergencies.
Type 99 Code 1 will be for "an asteroid approaching Earth."
Type 99 Code 2 will be for "an asteroid on a confirmed collision course."
Type 99 Code 10 will be for "aliens on an intercept course for Earth."
Type 99 Code 11 will be for "aliens have landed and are taking over."

We could add Type 100 for "We're all going to die" and have the Code be
the number of minutes before we all die.

Whatcha think? :)

Ben