Logging user Filesystem transactions

Brian McGrew Brian at doubledimension.com
Fri Nov 12 15:55:51 UTC 2004

Good morning all,

I'm sure I'm not the first to want this or even ask but ...

We have several RH7.3 boxes and a few Solaris 8 boxes on our NIS
network.  Everyone attaches to NFS mounted shares.  Several times now,
we've had stuff disappear or get corrupted and no one knows nothing!

I want to start logging all my users Filesystem commands.  From mv, rm,
ls to vi and cp ... Everything!  Most especially if they're out in an
NFS Filesystem but it would be nice to log their local Filesystem
accesses as well.  Preferably into a MySQL database so I can run
reporting on it.

Is this something that I'd do at the Filesystem level, in the shell, or
(preferably) in a daemon?  Any ideas or suggestions?

-brian

Brian D. McGrew {brian at doubledimension.com || pacemakertaker at rock.com }
---