How to move whole RH9 to another hard-disk?

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Thu Nov 18 08:30:03 UTC 2004

generally I use cpio to do this and dont exclude the /dev directory, cp
will have problems copying device special files (well, used to a few years
back) which cpio doesnt seem to have.

mount new drive in /mnt/st

cd /mnt/st
find / -print -depth | egrep -v "^\/proc|^\/mnt" | sort | cpio -pmvd .

(note, this command may be hazardous to your health if you type it without
checking first :-) I just tapped it out off the top of my head)

then alter your grub.conf and fstab files

--
Steve.