unset global editor symlink

Bob Metelsky bob.metelsky at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 14:13:08 UTC 2004

Yes, I think you're right on that, that is - there isnt an actual vi
on the system. However I was sure there was vi *before* I added the
addittional editors.

here is my output
[root at RH1 root]# rpm -qf on /bin/vi
error: file on: No such file or directory
vim-minimal-6.2.98-1

[root at RH1 root]# ls -l /bin/vi*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       465644 Sep 16  2003 /bin/vi
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            2 Nov 11 22:29 /bin/view -> vi

[root at RH1 root]# rpm  -qi /usr/bin/vim
package /usr/bin/vim is not installed

Hah! because I've uninstalled it!

NOW---

I just "reinstalled" vim enhanced  through "add packages" and This is
what I get the rpm querry says its not installed. Im recalling there
is refresh rpm db or somethiing I just dont recall the syntax

[root at RH1 root]# rpm  -qi /bin/vi
package /bin/vi is not installed

[root at RH1 root]# rpm  -qi /usr/bin/vim
package /usr/bin/vim is not installed

[root at RH1 root]# vi
  VIM - Vi IMproved
~
~                                version 6.2.98
~                           by Bram Moolenaar et al.

I suppose I should not fight this and just use the most curent vim
although I thinks its twisted to have a system list a executable like
vi only to call vim. It should say.. vi not installed... using vim. OR
just install both and have you path the one you want!

Ill move on to a more productive problem

thanks for all the replies
bob