anyone using AMD64 Newcastle socket 939?

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Tue Nov 23 03:45:16 UTC 2004

Hi,
I want to build a new workstation based on an AMD64 and wondered if anyone is
using the Newcastle processor (socket 939). It is a home system so will
likely run FC 3.

The processor I'm thinking about using is:
"AMD ATHLON 64 3500+ S939 PROCESSOR NEWCASTLE 2.2GHZ 512KB CACHE"

If your running an AMD64 Newcastle, I would like to know:
-what version of linux your using
-what board it is running on
-how much/what speed ram
-comments on performance and stability
-how it compares to a socket 754 (noticeable feel not bus speed)
-anything else that you recommend or discourage

I'd also be interested in what video cards work well. (I'm way out of touch on
that end of things!)

I'm leaning toward an Asus board simply because of the name/reputation. Also,
we use them at work for our Linux servers were I have not had any problems
with them (but they don't use TV-tuners and digital cameras;).

However, I have read conflicting reports about Asus's linux support for
on-board devices such as the 1Gb nic. I suppose once a I have a short-list of
boards I can check the individual chips their using, but I'm not there yet...

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
Pete
--