Type of bluetooth/USb driver

Amit Tuljapurkar amitt at mahindrabt.com
Tue Nov 16 14:41:43 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am new to Bluetooth and knows little bit of linux. I have 3 queries..

1.
I know that Linux supports 3 driver types as Char, block and network. I want
to know where exactly amongst the above mentioned types, the bluetooth
and/or USB driver fits in Linux?

2.
Secondly, Can I write a driver, by completely ignoring the traditional
driver architecture of linux?
I mean,
* Writing kernel modules for following things
* populating kernel symbol tables with functions
  that interact with hardware directly.
* These functions may implement interrupt,
  use DMA or use kernel services such as locking etc..
* Calling these functions from applications.

Are such things possible in Linux and is it advisable? If yes,no then why?

3.
I would be greatful if someone can comment on any similarity / difference in
BlueZ drivers and the ones available with RedHat distro?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Amit.

Disclaimer: