USB Keychain Drive

Dave Basener dbasener at aurora.edu
Thu Oct 7 19:41:49 UTC 2004

Hi,
I have a FC2 system and I use KDE.   I wrote a simple kdialog script to
do mount and unmount of a usb drive when I click an icon on the K panel.

The dialog is a toggle.  If the usb drive is not mounted, it mounts it.
If it is mounted it unmounts it.  It gives you a status when done and
detects a couple of error conditions and gives you a choice of responses
to those errors.  (I know there is a minor bug in it somewhere because
every now and then it gives me no response.) (Uses bash and kdialog.)

Here is the script:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Dave Basener - Aurora University
#

STATFILE=/tmp/mnt.stat
mount /mnt/stick >$STATFILE 2>&1
mountResp=$?

if [[ $mountResp == 32 ]]
then
    umount /mnt/stick >/dev/null 2>&1

    umountResp=$?

    if [[ $umountResp == 2 ]]
    then
        kdialog --error "Could not mount nor unmount the memory stick"
        exit 32
    elif [[ $umountResp == 0 ]]
    then
        kdialog --msgbox "Memory unmounted - OK to remove"
    fi
else
    # OK it's mounted, but did it mount properly
    if [[ -s "$STATFILE" ]]
    then
        # there is a message in the stat file - ask what to do
        kdialog --warningyesno "Device mounted, but mount
returned:\n$(cat $STATFILE)\n\nUnmount device?"

        diaResp=$?

        # if unmount requested, simply recurse
        [[ $diaResp -eq 0 ]] && mountStick
    else
        # It mounted properly - give ACK
        kdialog --msgbox "USB Memory mounted - "
    fi
fi

--
"... be the change you wish to see in the world."  - Gandhi

David Basener               http://www.aurora.edu/~dbasener
System Administrator                Dave.Basener at aurora.edu
Aurora University                              630 844 4889