How to turn off the auto updatedb and run it manually?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 15 02:52:09 UTC 2004

Yin Ming wrote:
> Hi, boys.

Careful...some of the readers may be "girls".  :-)

> My box is pretty old, so running a updatedb (for locate DB) is a bit
> slow and takes too much cpu time. I seldom install something or move
> files, and, in fact, I rarely use locate. So it's not necessary to run
> updatedb every day.
>
> I search /etc/rc.d, and those profiles in /etc, but didn't find anyone
> calling updatedb, so I don't know how to make it not run everyday
> automatically, or change its frequency to a week once. Where can I set
> its schedule of updatedb?

Have a look in /etc/cron.daily.  The slocate.cron scipt can be relocated
to /etc/cron.weekly.

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"