can't print with linux

ABrady xunil at kc.rr.com
Mon Oct 25 05:52:50 UTC 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:21:45 +1000
Scott Adamson <scottadamson at sywaretech.com.au> wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to setup a HP Laserjet 6L with RH 9. First of all I
> rebooted the machine with the printer connected & powered up, Kudzo
> found the new device, correctly identified it and allegedly installed
> the driver. The damn thing wont do anything, can't print the CUPS test
> file, can't print from any applications, can't even print a text file
> by using lpr. The only clue I can find is an entry in
> /var/log/messages which appears when the CUPS server is restarted -
>
> modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-188
>
> The printer works fine plugged into a Doze box.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated, .

It might not work in your case, so YMMV.

I've had endless trouble letting systems set up printers for me ever
since CUPS became the de facto standard. But when I did it manually, I
only had one failure. The problems and successes have crossed distro
lines: RH, MDK, Knoppix, Mepis, SuSE and a slew of others.

This has worked for me: I delete the printer, then use the web
interface to set it up all over again (usually http://localhost:631/
will do it).

You might not find the exact driver that way (I have an HP 4p, but use a
stock HP 4 driver, for instance), but there are several things I found
on google about other printer settings that are claimed to work.
Particularly:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_6L

For LPD:

http://cmisip.home.insightbb.com/hardware.htm   (near middle)