"File size limit exceeded" problem in Red Hat 8

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Oct 27 16:06:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 07:36:15AM -0700, Jake Brown wrote:
> It is a simple .txt file. The problem has to do something with the
> filing system supported by Red Hat 8, but I could not figure it out
> yet.

On Red Hat Linux 8 with an ext3 file system, you do not have a 2GB file
size limitation.  To verify this, do:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/point/foo.big bs=1024k count=3000

That should give you a 3G file and prove to you that the file system
does support large files.

It's quite possibly and likely that the application is broken and that
it does not support large files even though the operating system does.

Also, when reporting problems like this, it's helpful to tell us you
which file system you're actually using rather than letting us guess.
Do a 'df -T' and it will tell you.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA