More Details on /proc files

Kedar Pimplikar kedar.pimplikar at patni.com
Fri Oct 29 12:26:35 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I am developing an application which will output performance data of Redhat
AS 3.0
Approach I am using is to read /proc files.
My question is where do I get COMPLETE documentation of the format of each
file in /proc.
I tried using man proc and procinfo.
But when I see the actual /proc file and man page for same, the fields in
proc file do not match with man page.
For instance, cat /proc/<pid>/stat has more fields than specified in man
page.

Also, man page do not specify all the fields of other files as well.

I am beginner in Linux and would appreciate your help on this.

Regards,
Kedar.