How about linux support for AMD64 K8?

Yin Ming yinming at mdc-ds.com
Sat Oct 30 01:17:23 UTC 2004

Hi, all

I'm going to buy a new computer in about Jan nest year. and I'm
wondering which system I should choose. AMD64 or P4?

It's just for home use. Surfing, DVD, a little game, and much coding as
hobby. I know even my old K6-400 box is enought for these, but I'd like
to get a long-life one, which won't be washed out in couple of years.

So I want to get a AMD 64. In few years, I think, 64bits OS and
application will replace the 32 ones. So, though AMD64 K8 is not a
mature one, it's cheap for me and, at least, it's 64 bit.

So how about the supporting from linux world? I heard some OS had have a
64bit core. When will linux support 64bit overally? Will AMD64 K8 work
fine in the feature?