System hang due to high iowait

Carlos Antonio Gomez cgomez at ceis.cujae.edu.cu
Mon Oct 4 15:11:34 UTC 2004

I do not speak English :-)

RedHAt AS3 Update 1

The problem is that the server hangs.  The daemons start to die and the
server only functions at the kernel level.  You can remove the network
cable and it notifies you on the console.  You insert the network cable
and it also notifies you.  If you browse to Webmin, it responds with the
authorization page, but authentication fails because the daemon died.
You can telnet to the server on different ports and it connects, but it
waits for the login banner, etc.

I made a script which logs the load on the server each minute and when I
look at this I realize mailman is the problem.  The load average goes up
to 60% (?) when normally it's only 4%.  I browsed the mailman logs and
for the last few hangs, log entries coincide with mail sent to lists,
but it happens with small or large lists.

The hanging of the server is happening whether mail is sent to the small
or large lists.  I've tried troubleshooting the hardware and through
testing I'm able to send mail to the lists and the server hangs, but not
every time.  This makes me thinkg it's not postfix or mailman, but
possibly some other daemon.