Tomcat5 on RHEL AS3? Has *ANYBODY* managed to install this <censored> package?

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Wed Sep 1 23:03:54 UTC 2004

I think the subject says it all.

I've set up my server and installed RHEL AS 3.0 on it.  I'm beginning to
long for the days of M$, where all I had to do was run a <censored> .exe
file, and it ran.  *sigh*

Okay, I downloaded something that purports to be an "executable" from the
jakarta project, but the readme says that I have to have Java installed.
Okay, I couldn't find any java packages installed, so I tried "which
java", which showed a /usr/bin/java.  Cool, so I try running it.  I get
some text message stating that it's nothing but a place holder for some
other stuff. ack.  So I try up2date java.  no dice. I can't find the j2sdk
or jre or anything recognizable, and I'm afraid to download Sun's because
it might break whatever was installed by the installer!

Has *ANYBODY* installed tomcat5 on a virgin RHEL AS 3 install?  Is there a
coherent HOWTO anywhere?  I've been googling and downloading crap for two
hours now, and I'm about at my limit.

Thanks!

Ben