SSL tunnel

oxfordmusic.net lists at oxfordmusic.net
Mon Sep 6 14:59:21 UTC 2004

I am trying to set up some secure tunnels for MySQL between 2 RHEL3 boxes.
The connection needs to work both ways. I have Webmin so using that I have
set up the tunnels like so:
on box aa.bb.cc.dd:
>From :3307 to ww.xx.yy.zz:3308, Accept normal and connect with SSL
on box ww.xx.yy.zz
>From :3308 to localhost:3306, Accept SSL and connect normal

Using a test script on aa.bb.cc.dd I can connect to MySQL on ww.xx.yy.zz.
Obviously, I will reverse the above configuration for the connection back to
aa.bb.cc.dd

My question is: I have tried to check to see if this connection is encrypted
or not but I can't seem to get the right results from either tcpdump or
Ethereal. Is my config as listed above correct? Will that encrypt my
traffic?

Cheers

Andy