remote root login in RedHat EL v3.0

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Thu Sep 9 02:07:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Haim Stots wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have some problems logging in as root from remote telnet in EL v3.0,
> I changed the login file in pam.d and also rename the /etc/securetty with no success.....
>
> Please pive any hint.

Do you have telnet installed ?

have you enabled it ?

can you telnet in as another user sucessfully ?

you leave things rather open to assumption.

personally, I believe that the reason it is not working is because you
have not painted a really big target on your arse yet with the words "Hack
me !" scrawled over it.. but then.. thats just my opinion.. :-)

oh, and PuTTY is a good alternative to SecureCRT if you need a windows
based ssh client and cant afford to pay for SecureCRT (which IMHO is worth
the $$ you pay for it)

--
Steve.