Sendmail cannot send to own domain

Richard Hobbs richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 15:28:04 UTC 2004

Hello,

We have many RedHat 8.0 machines here, all of which are running
sendmail-8.12.8-9.80.

All machines can use their local sendmail to email their local users.

Also, all machines can use their local sendmail to email any address on the
internet.

However... None of the machines can use their local sendmail to email any
address on the same domain as the machine itself, for example:

The machines are called:

  host1.sub.domain.com
  host2.sub.domain.com
  host3.sub.domain.com

Each machine can happily email hobbs at mongeese.co.uk, for example, and
each machine can email username at localhost. None of the machines can email
username at sub.domain.com though.

How can this be setup, and why is it happening? The MX record for
sub.domain.com points to our rather old Cobalt Raq mail server.

Can anyone suggest a way to get sendmail to work properly for our own domain
as well??

Thanks in advance,
Hobbs.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964        Mobile: +44 7811 803377