swap space unused

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Sep 14 05:08:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:00:10 -0400, Hanh Do wrote:

> I am running Red Hat 7.3 and seeing problems with application not being able to use swap space.

What problems specifically? Any error message?

> >From the free command, my app is using up almost all of RAM,

Not even a third of your RAM is occupied. Notice how much of your RAM
is taken for buffering/caching, because otherwise it would not be used
at all. That improves performance. It will be freed whenever a process
wants more RAM. No need to use swap space yet.

> # free
> Mem:        902928     892664      10264          0      30224     659656
> -/+ buffers/cache:     202784     700144
> Swap:      1052248          0    1052248
>
> so why is swap not used at all.
>
> Here is the result of swapon -s command:
>
> #swapon -s
>
> Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
> /dev/hda2                       partition       1052248 0       -2

For testing you could raise the swap priority (see "man swapon") and
let a test program allocate roughly a GB.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
loadavg: 1.05 1.04 0.62