Adding entries to the main menu.

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Thu Sep 16 14:37:32 UTC 2004

It depends on what you mean by adding items to the menu.  If you mean
adding submenus to the main menu for all users, you can modify the file
/etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu, and add a corresponding
.directory file to /usr/share/desktop-menu-files

To to menu items to a menu, you just need to determine the keywords for
that menu group and add a .desktop to /usr/share/applications
corresponding to the menu item.

I've built a bunch of RPMs for bioinformatics software and have to add
menu items for the GUI apps and this is exactly how I did it.

Red Hat's system menus use the vfolder spec - so the menus are "virtual
folders" that are built using the XML file
/etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu This file references the
*.directory files in /usr/share/desktop-menu-files, and the *.desktop
files scattered about the system (the new default location is
/usr/share/applications).  This information was taken from
http://gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/latest/system-admin-guide.html#menust
ructure-0, and http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html.

If you have any more questions about the X11 menus, I think I've got a
pretty good understanding of it after all this...

Ryan