[expert] File Dates Modified Issue

Peter Smith pasmith at wbmpl.com.au
Fri Sep 17 00:17:16 UTC 2004

Jeff Boyce wrote:

> [...]
There appears to be a problem somewhere in the access/modified/creation
date system, possibly in Samba.  When cpio version 2.5 accesses files
over a samba mount, the modify date gets changed.  Cpio then complains
that the file has been modified while being copied, resulting in reams
of error messages per day.  It is not simply a Windows problem, as it
happens with a SuSE 9.0 system accessing a samba share on a RH 7.3
system.  I brought this up on the bug-cpio list, but I don't think it is
high on anyone's priority list ...

Regards,
Peter Smith