Mounting a Tape Drive

Celine Neo rhlinux_neo at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 07:41:22 UTC 2004

Hi..

I urgently need to mount my tape drive as i need to do
backup. But after reading from quite a few sources, I
am getting more confused.

To mount a device, I must first define a mount point,
right? For this case, this is what i have define in
/etc/fstab (I don't know if this correct)

--> /dev/tape /mnt/tape auto rw,auto,user,sync
I want the device to mount automatically.

Then I use this command --> mount /mnt/tape
and it says "mount: special device /dev/tape does not
exist"

So I continue searching and ooe of the site says must
create device entry by doing --> /dev/MAKEDEV

So I followed, I did a --> /dev/MAKEDEV tape

After this command, the /dev created "tape-d" and
"tape-reset". But where is the "tape" that I have
asked for? And now I am stucked. =(

Someone pls help me.

Thanks a lot
Celine