Mail

jason at dixongroup.net jason at dixongroup.net
Wed Sep 22 19:48:46 UTC 2004

> I'm currently having a problem with sendmail. I can send mail out, I'm
> assuming. ( I can send to my bellsouth account, aswell to my local mail
> account. ) The problem is that i can't recieve mail to my mail server.
> The only mail that comes in is the one from the local account. Below is
> an example :
>
> Mail Server : gc-site.hopto.org
> DNS MX : gc-site.hopto.org
>
> Host : gc-site.hopto.org
>
> gc-site.hopto.org can send out (e.g. to my bellsouth account )
> damienjp at bellsouth.net can't send to gc-site.hopto.org
> but if local at gc-site.hopto.org sends to gc-site.hopto.org it works !!
>
> Need some help please... BTW If more info is needed please let me know,
> i'm pretty sure i didn't explain this in detail.

You have DNS issues.  Out of the three nameservers delegated to handle
hopto.org (nf[1-3].no-ip.com), only nf3.no-ip.com has an entry to
subdelegate DNS for hopto.org to ns[1-2].ravy.com.  And even then, neither
of them have any zones for hopto.org.

The reason that you can send mail locally on gc-site.hopto.org is just
that... it's local.  The MTA should always (unless configured otherwise)
attempt local delivery before reverting to MX.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting