It's probably stupid.... but......

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Thu Sep 23 17:58:41 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 18:56, Otto Haliburton wrote:
>
>>>I was wondering if there is anyway of running MS Access and Red Hat 9
>>>??  This computer is set up as a Server so I'm running Apache with Perl,
>>>Python, ASP, ASP .NET, PHP, JSP. So basically some ASP and ASP .NET
>>>scripts need Access or SQL as Database.
>>>

> If all you need is "...Access or SQL..." will *any* SQL database work?
> Or do you *need* Microsoft applications?
>
> If any SQL will help, Red Hat Linux and Fedora have included MySQL and
> PostgreSQL for ages. Both are free and work well. Oracle also runs on
> Linux as does IBM's DB2. Basically everything made by everyone except
> Microsoft runs on Linux.
>
> Perhaps this is a good time to invest in a database migration?
>
> Cheers,

I'd like to add as it seems many don't know this.  If you plan on using
MySQL in a commercial environment you need to purchase a commercial
license.  For a server environment this is pretty cheap.  The last time
I had someone purchase one it was like $400-500 US.  If anyone ever
needs a database for their distributed applications I would advise them
to not build on mysql because for every distrobution of the database
server one has to purchase a commercial license to be legal.

We checked into this with the MySQL US people and the closest we could
get was $50 US per copy of the database on the CD.  We ship many CDs.
We purchased Sybase SQL Anywhere for our standalone engine.  It has a
server side and a redistributable engine.  I think in the future we may
be looking to use Firebird as it is very nice.  I would also like to add
that the Sybase SQL Anywhere server is very compatible (not completely)
with Microsoft SQL Server except for server specific tasks like backing
up a database and what not.

Just a little extra info.

Wade