Tech Issue

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Sep 25 21:10:19 UTC 2004

On Wed 22 September 2004 19:30, Damien Estrada wrote:
> I have a pc solely for the purpose of being a Server but it's currently
> running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I wanna switch that to Red Hat
> Linux Enterprise Server but the problem is that i can't auto boot from a
> cd on that computer. It only has a cd-rom and a floppy and of course a
> hard drive.
PXE is too much to ask then? :-)
on CD1 you will find an images directory
in it there are several boot disk images. the most useful is possibly
bootdisk.img (no great shocks there then)
cat bootdisk.img > /dev/fd0
will write it to floppy

boot from it and it should ask you for an install method

> So i was wondering is there anyway to do a remote install from let'z
> say..... this server ?? Can i download all the ISO files and tell that
> pc to install from here ?
>
> Can i do this via FTP ?? or WWW ??
absolutely. the anaconda installer supports installs over NFS, FTP, HTTP.
over NFS you can do a graphical install, which is (arguably) easier.
if you mean over the internet, the answer is probably no. (unless someone is
in breach of their SLA...)

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX