Building a Linux NAS

Harper Mann hmann at itgroundwork.com
Thu Sep 30 16:27:26 UTC 2004

You might want to look at

Heartbeat
http://linux-ha.org/

and

drbd
http://www.drbd.org/.

I built a NAS out of these projects and two dual cpu systems each with 8
120GB ATA running on 2 Adaptec RAID 5 cards.  There are some good hardware
comparisons for ATA RAID Cards through Google.  It's definitely feasible to
build a NAS and it's fun.  The downside is it's fairly labor intensive.

Good luck,

- Harper

Harper Mann
Groundwork Open Source Solutions