Spontaneous permission changes

Elmer E. Dow elmeredow at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 3 01:34:21 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 11:03 pm, Edward wrote:
> Elmer E. Dow wrote:
> > Why did the console and gui interfaces list different permissions?
> > And why did ttyS1 spontaneously change permissions -- at least as
> > reported by the gui?
> >
> > Earlier this week I had a similar occurrence on the same machine using
> > Knoppix (installed on the hard drive -- it's basically Debian unstable)
> > and wvdial. I'll briefly report that, too, since there were some
> > commonalities and it may give a hint as to what's going on. On boot
> > cardmgr reported:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Just a little chime from this corner. The only time I've seen permission
> change like this is when I had exported Linux files via Samba to back
> them up.
>
> The back up (run on Windows), somehow marked the files as being backed
> up in it's mind (modified bit or something?), but on the Linux side, the
> permissions changed, to the sort of symptoms you describe.
>
> May or may not be relevant, but thought I'd let you know. If you're
> using samba and Windows is peering at those files that could be it?
>
> Regards,
> Ed.
I don't use Samba. I've looked at WinXP via Linux, but not the Linux
partitions via WinXP. I did use WinXp to run Partition Magic to resize the
partitions a few weeks ago, but the problem occured long after that. Any
suggestions of what to do diagnostically if this happens again?

Thanks for your input.

Elmer