Enabling root account thru IMAP

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Tue Sep 7 12:26:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Richard Hobbs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Using RedHat 8.0, I need to do one of these things (but not both):
>
>   1. Allow root to log into IMAP Server.
>
>   2. Forward all root email to another user on the same machine.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to do one of these? (Preferably No. 2)

Yep, #2 is very doable.  However, how you do it depends upon which mail
system you're using, sendmail, postfix, etc.  I'm using postfix, and what
I do is edit my /etc/postfix/aliases file and then run the newaliases
command.  I think in sendmail you'd modify the /etc/aliases file and then
run the newaliases command, but I'm not sure (I refuse to run sendmail for
security reasons).

Good luck!

Ben