Disk /dev/hde doesn't contain a valid partition table {Scanned}

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Sep 7 22:06:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, SW wrote:

> C. Linus Hicks,
>
> Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out if I formated the entire drive
> (200 gigs) using fdisk and then created a ext3 partition, it should be
> mounted as /dev/hde or /dev/hde1?
>
> Can the drive be usable even though there are no partitions? fdisk says
> there is no partition on the drive but I can use it just fine: read, write,
> delelte, change directories, etc without any problems.

Generally speaking, it's probably safer to create a 200GB partition on the
drive (which would be /dev/hde1), and then use "mkfs.ext3 /dev/hde1" to
actually format the partition in question.  You would then mount /dev/hde1
to whichever mountpoint it is you wanted.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit