firewall IP as Originating IP for emails

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Sep 9 10:36:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 16:36, Mrs. Geeta Thanu wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> We have our primary DNS , webserver, email server everything inside
> firewall, all natted to WAN IP.
>
> Hence our mails are having the originating IP as firewall's IP ad hence
> some domains are rejecting our mails.

You say "some" domains are rejecting your mails.  Can we infer from that
that most are accepting your mails?  If that is true, could you share
the "reason" being given by the rejecting domains?

Could it be that they are rejecting the mails because the IP address of
the FW isn't resolvable?  e.g.

[egreshko at misty log]$ host 210.212.212.2
Host 2.212.212.210.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

In any case, knowing the reason for the rejects would be a big step
toward suggesting a solution.

Regards,
Ed

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"