Postfix myorigin

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Wed Sep 15 16:20:14 UTC 2004

I've set up a bunch of Postfix servers in the past, but I have these two
new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 AS servers running Postfix that don't use
the "myorigin" parameter in main.cf for some reason.

mydomain = foo.com
myhostname = mail.foo.com
myorigin = $mydomain

Whenever I send mail out from the command line using either the mail or
sendmail command, the mail will be sent as "root at mail.foo.com" instead of
"root at foo.com".  It uses whatever the hostname of the machine is...not the
hostname listed in main.cf.  If I run the command "hostname
newname.foo.net" and then send mail out, it will go out as
"root at newname.foo.net".   I've never seen this problem before on any other
servers.  Chaning the myorigin parameter to anything and running 'postfix
reload' has no effect.

Also, I tried addding the "masquerade_domain = foo.com" option but it
didn't change anything.

Thanks,
Chris