BIND Questions

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Sun Sep 19 13:57:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Harry wrote:

> Hi I know this has been asked a zillion times, but I am still confused
> on this subject, and no search on the Net has cleared my doubts.

www.howstuffworks.com is a great resource if you are confused about DNS
and its operation.

> I have some Public Ips, which I have got from my ISP as I am their
> leased line customers. On one of the Ips I want to host my online
> website, my conufusion starts here
>
> 1) Do I have to make Zone Files for the site on THIS LINUX server which
> will have the contents of the website?

No. (See above)

> 2)Once I regsiter my Domain for
> eg.with Regsiter.com, what will be the DNS settings that I will have to
> put ?will it be my ISPs DNS settings?

Most ISP's will provide a service that will allow you to register a domain
and they will provide all the necessary setup and configuration and will
house your zones for you. you can then say "hi, can you please point
xyz.server.com at the IP 1.2.3.4 and they will handle it for you. This is
probably your best option to start with. After this you can then start
playing with DNS to get a better understanding of how it works and then
use the afore mentioned model to do things such as running a hidden
primary and not run into as many issues should your link, dns or zone
files become broken to the point of non-loading goodness.

DNS can be incredibly confusing and difficult to fix should you accidently
introduce problems with your zone file setups.

On the other hand, if this is a small play around domain and it matters
not if it works or not or takes weeks to repair should you get your TTL's
wrong then by al means, break away. Again tho, a good starting point would
be your registrar or ISP, they should have FAQ's or info that you can read
up on that will help you get started.

--
Steve.