Multiple RHEL installations

This is going to sound a really stupid question, but how do I install more than one instance of RHEL on a single hard drive and then switch between them in Grub?

I've tried simply installing a second copy in some free space but it fails to see my first installation and if I add it to Grub manually it fails to boot from it.......This is somehting I haven't done for a long, long time and I'm confused.......

thanks in advance
Matt