Mail

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Sep 23 01:02:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 05:43, Damien Estrada wrote:
> OMG Thank you... i knew that my dns setting where correct.... what i
> think the problem is dat sendmail is not listening to my address
> 67.34.177.240 which is static.

FWIW, you have some unnecessary information in your DNS.

You have 2 MX entries:

[egreshko at gangster tmp]$ host -t mx gc-site.hopto.org
gc-site.hopto.org mail is handled by 5 mail.gc-site.hopto.org.
gc-site.hopto.org mail is handled by 10 gc-site.hopto.org.

but....

[egreshko at gangster tmp]$ host mail.gc-site.hopto.org
mail.gc-site.hopto.org has address 67.34.177.240

and

[egreshko at gangster tmp]$ host gc-site.hopto.org
gc-site.hopto.org has address 67.34.177.240

Are the same.....

So, if my system has mail for you and your system is down or not
reachable it will try mail.gc-site.hopto.org (fail) and
gc-site.hopto.org (still fail becuase it is the same).....which is
unnecessary.

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"