Outbound ports to firewall?

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Fri Sep 24 14:06:02 UTC 2004

On Sep 24, 2004, at 9:57 AM, Jason Staudenmayer wrote:

> Better yet do what I do and point every system to a dead-end and only
> allow
> restricted proxy access to the web.

How is that "better" than what I suggested?  You block all by default
and only allow "trusted" traffic.  If there is a proxy, of course you
should use it (as I already said).  Otherwise, if it's a necessary
requirement of normal day-to-day activities, than you allow it
statefully.

If you're in an environment where the only necessary outbound services
are proxy-capable, more power to you.  I guarantee you you're in the
extreme minority.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting