Outbound ports to firewall?

Lloyd H. Meinholz lloyd.meinholz at bmpcoe.org
Fri Sep 24 14:05:52 UTC 2004

On a similar note, does it make any sense for me to limit outgoing ports
on my workstations firewall? We have some limits on out network firewall
and I have no control over that. I'm having some issues getting my
iptables rules working correctly on my workstation, especially samba (so
I can print to our windows print server) and am debating what I am
actually accomplishing by filtering outgoing traffic from my
workstation.

Right now, I'm of the opinion that filtering outgoing ports from my
workstation really only accomplishes reassuring myself that nothing that
I don't know of is getting out of my box and that I'm learning
iptables... :) If I were selling it I could say that I am trying to
limit and contain any potential security breach to my workstation. Is
there something else I'm missing?

Lloyd