PDF printing cups and SAMBA automation

Anthony E. Greene tony at greene-family.org
Tue Sep 28 18:37:35 UTC 2004

On 19:42 Sep 28, 2004 ASB <vmlinuz at abisen.com> wrote:
> After going through a series of documentation i know we can print
> pdf's on a network using cups and samba but the delivery mechanism
> for those pdf's are a little unrefined. I wanted to know that wether
> it is possible using samba to know which user is printing through the
> nework printer that i am sharin using samba and somehow maintain a
> email id's of all the user in some file or database and mail the pdf
> that is created to those e-mail id's. If somebody can give me ideas
> of how i can make this work it'd be great.

I wrote a Perl script that is called from smb.conf to process the spool
file to PDF, then deliver the result via email. It gets the Samba username
then either sends the PDF attachment to that local user account
(user at sambaserver.domain) or uses the username to get the email address
from an LDAP server. Or the script can add a default domain name to the
username if that results in a valid address for your users.

http://www.greene-family.org/tony/downloads/print2pdf

Feedback is appreciated. Code for improvements would be even more
appreciated.  :-)

--Tony