Gnome performance question

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Sep 30 18:10:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 08:45:41AM -0600, Bob Smith wrote:
> I think the 2.4 MB box has 256MB of RAM, and I know that the 3.1MHz
> box has 1GB of RAM, so certainly the second box shouldn't be a hardware
> problem.
>
> Do you know if additional work is being done on the issue?

I believe so.  There are some tuning things you can apparently do to
makes this a bit better but I don't think it's perfect yet.  Check the
archives of the taroon list and search bugzilla for the reports.

One my home systems has a similar problem - if I do a yum update, the
mouse movements (in KDE) effectively stop while it's retrieving the
package info (not even updating any packages).  This is on a P4 with
256MB memory.  I haven't seen any issues on my server which normally
does not have X running.  I haven't seen any performance issues on any
of my RHEL systems at work.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA