TOP reports High iowait

David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Fri Apr 1 16:22:51 UTC 2005

Like they say in that old short story "The Final Question":

"Not enough data for meaningful answer"

...but could it be swapping?

Try these man pages and commands: free, vmstat, also check /proc/meminfo

The vmstat output is very informative:

procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in    cs us sy id wa
 0  0 2912748 165736  97384 414396    5    4    74   124    3     1  9  2 89  1

where

si/so are blocks swapped in and out
bi/bo are blocks moved in and out (AFAIK, only those not swapped)

-- David