installation of RH9 thru NFS

AA magical14 at rediffmail.com
Sat Apr 2 11:10:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 Shiraz Baig wrote :
>I created an nfs server. I made a directory
>  /linuxdir/.
>Then I copied RedHat/ directory from disk1 to this
>directory. It made two subdirectories base/ and RPMS/.
>Then I took disk2 and disk3 and copied all the RPMS to
>the /linuxdir/RedHat/RPMS/.
>
>I also configured nfs on the server and mounted this
>directory /linuxdir on another computer, to make sure
>that nfs server is running and that the /linuxdir can
>be mounted.
>
>Finally, I booted the computer with disk1, on which I
>wished to install RH9. On the first screen I gave
>"linux askmethod" and chose "nfs image" method. Then I
>gave the IP addresses to this machine and also the IP
>address of the nfs server, when it was asked.
>
>But it did not install, giving the message "The Linux
>tree is not found...."
>
>Could you tell me what other preparations is
>necessary. BTW, if I use ftp method, it is working
>fine.
>bye
>shiraz

Hi Shiraz,

Copying the cd's in the directory wouldn't work fine with NFS installtion. It would perfect with FTP and HTTP installation.

For NFS, just create a folder and use the 'dd'commmand to copy each of the disk into the folder. Provide the /foldername in the space when you are prompted for during installation.

And then you need the services up and running for NFS.

Regards,