FC3 and color change

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Sun Apr 3 05:41:49 UTC 2005

On Saturday 02 April 2005 12:24 pm, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 01:02:50PM -0600, Mike Klinke wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 April 2005 11:29, Ed Wilts wrote:
> > > I backed out all of the x11-org packages and the kernel and so
> > > far the symptom hasn't changed. ?I get a nice white during the
> > > grub screen, and then later in the boot the blue comes into play.
> > >
> > > More searching and restoring to see what else has changed...
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, does the symptom appear no matter which you
> > use of; Gnome, KDE, or XFce?
>
> I don't have Gnome installed but it happens even during the graphical
> boot - it starts off ok and then changes in mid-boot.
>
> It happens with twm too.
>
> --
> Ed Wilts, RHCE
> Mounds View, MN, USA
> mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org
> Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program

It sounds like it changes/fails when the video driver is loaded. Do you use X
video drivers from your card/chip vendor?
I use nvidia drivers which compile modules according to your kernel. Usually
if I update the kernel, it either breaks X or causes other problems. I can
tell when X isn't going to start because the graphical boot fails and
displays as a regular text boot screen. Reinstalling the driver fixes things.

The problems sound related in timing of when it fais, although if you've
backed out of all the xorg & kernel updates, it shouldn't be a problem.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce
www.linux1.ca