redhat-list Digest, Vol 14, Issue 4

mark whitroth at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 4 19:52:40 UTC 2005

redhat-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: X crashing
> From: Edward <edward at tripled.iinet.net.au>
> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:50:58 +0800
> mark wrote:
>
>> Ok, I'm running "Fedora legacy" (RH 9 updates) on my wife's computer,
>> a 450MHz K6 w/ SIS graphics card.
>>
>> X just crashes every so often. No reason, SIGHUP is all I see, nothing
<snip>
>> Clues?
>
> Have you tried another video card if you have one lying around?

Yup. A week or so before I upgraded her, I swapped out her circa-1998
AGP card for another card of around 2000 that was PCI. That didn't solve
it, so then I went in to do the upgrade, and turn off the screensaver. I
did that, btw, because my system that I was running until late last
summer was also a K6, and with screen saver on, *one* of the random
savers seemed to crash X.

	mark
--
Frodo: "(Gollum) deserves death!"
Gandalf: "...I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death.