Last Sunday of the Month

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Tue Apr 5 04:00:49 UTC 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 12:55 pm, Steve Buehler wrote:
> RHEL ES 3
> I can't seem to find this about the date command, but that doesn't mean it
> can't do it.  I have overlooked things in the past.
>
> 1.  Can the date command give you a date for the Last Sunday of a
> month?  Or do I have to go through a loop to check each day of the month to
> see if it is the last Sunday of the month?
>
> 2.  I can do a date --date="last sunday".  Is there a way to tell it to
> give me the date of 4 Sundays ago?  I tried date --date="4 sundays ago" and
> that didn't do it.
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Hi,
You can use -d to request a date by string, but i think it only uses 'next' or
'last'.
date -d "last month"
Fri Mar  4 21:00:09 PST 2005

date -d "next sunday"
Sun Apr 10 00:00:00 PDT 2005

You could check if next sunday is the current month:
date -d "next sunday"|awk ' {print $2} ...does it = $thismonth?
That would be a lot easier to check than checking every day.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce
www.linux1.ca