3.0ES -> 4.0ES Upgrade Difference?

Michael Wilson MWilson at MadDancer.com
Wed Apr 6 18:25:07 UTC 2005

Hi, list folks. Be gentle. This is my first time!

We operate an email list server that dispatches e-mail newsletters for
various clients. We are using a perl script called "Subscribe Me" to blast
these mailings out.

The Subscribe Me perl script simply reads the email addresses from a list,
and one at a time invokes sendmail to dispatch them.

We were running RHEL 3.0 ES on an Athlon 1Ghz machine. Shortly after 4.0 was
released, I downloaded it and did an upgrade, which went without incident.

After the upgrade, we noticed that the mail blast machine had gone from
dispatching
4 to 5 emails per second, to one email every 4 to 5 seconds. A DRASTIC
slowdown.

There are no errors anywhere in the logs. DNS and Sendmail all seem to be
working as usual, but for some reason that mailing script has slowed to a
crawl.

I attempted using renice to increase the priority of the perl script, which
had no effect. I also made sure my sendmail.cf was the same, even remaking
the .cf file from the M4 file. No change there.

I know there were many changes from 3.0es to 4.0es. Is there an
all-inclusive "changelog" between versions anywhere? Also, do any gurus here
in-the-know have any suspicion why our e-blasts have slowed so dramatically?

Thanks for your assistance.

PS: Just so you can answer with a clear conscience, we're not a spammer - we
operate several web sites for bands that dispatch messages to their fan
lists. :-)