Freeing unused kernel memory - Solved??

jong jong at gsc.weblinq.com
Mon Apr 11 08:02:11 UTC 2005

>OK folks, for the record & for anyone else who gets stuck on this, I
>fixed the problem by booting into rescue mode from cd1, chrooted into
>/mnt/sysimage and forced a reinstall of init like this:
>
>When in rescue mode & chrooted mount the cdrom: mount /mnt/cdrom
>Use rpm to force a reinstall of init:
>rpm -ivh --force /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/SysVinit-2.78-19.i386.rpm
>
>Exit the chroot environment & reboot.
>Hope this helps someone in the future :-)
>
>--
>Mark Farmer
>Linux System Administrator

hi there mark,

i'm using redhat 7.1

i tried what you have suggested under linux rescue

sh-2.04# rpm -ivh --force /mnt/source/RedHat/RPMS/SysVinit-2.78-15.i386.rpm
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

what causes this one?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.

-jong