Blackhole

Mike Klinke mklinke at axsi.com
Mon Apr 11 19:08:20 UTC 2005

On Monday 11 April 2005 12:52, Chris Kenward wrote:
> Hi Reuben
>
> > 1. Verify all your RPM installed file using 'rpm -Va'. Make
> > sure that you can account for any files that are reported to
> > have been changed (size, md5, etc). Make sure that _none_ of
> > the binary installed by RPM has been changed, unless you know
> > exactly who changed it and for what purpose. Important binaries
> > are , eg. : ps, ls, top.
>
> OK - did the RPM -Va and this is the list it came up with. Not
> sure what the various codes on the left mean so hoping you or
> someone can make sense of 'em for me...

The codes are listed in "man rpm", near the bottom of the file:

       S file Size differs
       M Mode differs (includes permissions and file type)
       5 MD5 sum differs
       D Device major/minor number mismatch
       L readLink(2) path mismatch
       U User ownership differs
       G Group ownership differs
       T mTime differs

The trick is to evaluate each of the entries in the list to see if
the differences listed make sense.  For example many of these are
configuration files that you may have intentionally changed or
files that have been changed by the operating system ( for example,
during the computer's initial configuration ).

Regards, Mike Klinke