rh-l] NTP Problems Redux

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Apr 11 19:22:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Gavin McDonald wrote:

> I stop the ntpd service, and run ntpdate to check the configs:
> # ntpdate
> 11 Apr 09:52:36 ntpdate[31314]: no servers can be used, exiting
>
> But If I manually specify the servers, it works fine.
> # ntpdate 0.ca.pool.ntp.org 1.ca.pool.ntp.org 2.ca.pool.ntp.org
> 11 Apr 09:52:49 ntpdate[31316]: adjust time server 142.179.100.217 offset
> 0.0177 63 sec

a manual vs an initscript variance sounds like something in
your path mungeing may be in play, although it may be a drop
userid permissions issue, or that the resolver setup is
somehow having issues.  I think I would add the strace package
to your server, and wrap the initscript, capturing the strace
and seeing where it falls apart.

-- Russ Herrold