Dual boot laptop problem

Barry Gamblin bgamblin at hao.ucar.edu
Thu Apr 14 15:42:20 UTC 2005

Jason Brown wrote:

|> Once he reinstalled Windows it wrote over the top of the MBR.
|> Shouldnt he be looking there first since grub/lilo was actually
|> taking care of the boot process.

Gamblin

Windows
In fact

I probably should have followed up on this. I was actually using
the windows boot loader, but I switched over to grub.

Here is what I ended up doing with the help of some linux nerds
here at work:

------
It's pretty easy with grub. Boot the install CD, mount the old root,
cd to the old root, then execute:

sbin/grub

when you get the "grub>" prompt, type

root (hd0,#)

where "#" is the partition number of your /boot partition (or the
root partition if you don't have /boot on a separate partition),
minus one.
Example: if you have /boot or root on hda2, type:

root (hd0,1)

Then type:

setup (hd0)

That's it, you're done. This assumes that your data is still intact,
and that your /boot/grub/grub.conf file is configured correctly for
the system.

------

Here is my partition table:

Device     Boot    Start     End    Blocks      ID   System

/dev/hda1   *          1    1625   12284968+   c    Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2           1626    6036   33347160    f    Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda3           6037    6201    1247400   1c    Hidden Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda5           1626    4416   21099928+  83    Linux
/dev/hda6           4417    4559    1081048+  82    Linux swap
/dev/hda7           4560    6036   11166088+   b    Win95 FAT32

So I found the linux install on /dev/hda5 was intact by booting the
redhat 9 install cd. So running grub and putting in

root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)

and then examining the /etc/grub.conf file to make sure it was correct
I could then boot into both windows and redhat.

I have since upgraded (or actually re-installed) Fedora Core 3 on the
linux side. All is well.

Barry Gamblin